Saturday, November 1, 2008

Service Members and their Political Activities

It seems that for as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated with politics. As a child growing up on Pawley’s Island South Carolina, I was one of those rare children that would enjoy watching the news as well as Sunday morning talk shows. Even to this day when I want to relax, I will sit down in front of the television and watch a good talk/news program. If I have to take a long road trip I will listen to talk radio over a music station any day. However, doing this drives my daughter Marissa crazy as she is a huge Hannah Montana and Keyshia Cole fan.

I do not know were this fascination with news, information and politics came from but for what ever reason; it is at the core of who I am. Maybe it came from a recorded sermon by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I heard as a child. As I recall the name of Dr. King’s sermon was “The Drum Major Instinct”. That sermon affects me to this day. If you ever get a chance to read it in it’s entirety you should but it would be even better if you heard the words as spoken by Dr. King. The following is just a small part of that sermon.

“…And so Jesus gave us a new norm of greatness. If you want to be
important—wonderful. If you want to be recognized—wonderful. If you want to be
great—wonderful. But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your
servant. That's a new definition of greatness. And this morning, the
thing that I like about it: by giving that definition of greatness, it means
that everybody can be great, because everybody can serve. You don't have to have
a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your
verb agree to serve. You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve.
You don't have to know Einstein's theory of relativity to serve. You don't have
to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You
only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love. And you
can be that servant…”


http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/publications/sermons/680204.000_Drum_Major_Instinct.html

While a student in college at The University of South Carolina, I ran for several political offices. These offices ranged from being appointed as Chief Student Advocate to running for student Senator, as well as my failed but valiant attempt at becoming student body President. I actually did pretty well considering I was considered the new kid on the block and was out spent by my opponents. You would be surprised at what some of those kids spent to run for office. You would have thought we were trying to run for President of the United States.

I remember campaigning like I was running for President of the United States. In fact, I coined the phrase “State of the University Address”. When asked about some of the changes I would bring into office if elected, I responded that I would give weekly State of the University Addresses to keep the students informed about the goings-on on campus.  To this day, I am proud I came up with that phrase.

However, when it comes to political activities while in uniform, service members must think twice. I have been involved with many election campaigns over the years from local, state and federal elections but while wearing the uniform there are certain types of activities that I, nor any other service member, can undertake.

In short while in uniform, a service member can not carry on certain types of political activities. Types of activates forbidden while in uniform include but are certainly not limited to attending rallies, using government vehicles or conducting political activities while working, using their military influence to interfere with the election process as well as speaking before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

I should also point out that as an officer serving in the military, it is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice or UCMJ to speak out against the President. I remember a case of a military General that made some disparaging remarks about then President Clinton. After those remarks came to light the general was forced to resign.

However, you are allowed to speak as a private citizen and of course while not in uniform about a particular candidate you would like to support. You can give money to the candidate just as any private citizen can do. According to the Department of Defense Directive 1344.10, you may also “attend partisan and nonpartisan political fundraising activities, meetings, rallies, debates, conventions, or activities as a spectator when not in uniform and when no inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement can reasonably be drawn.” Remember, you must not be in uniform! For more information relating to the Department of Defense Directive 1344.10 which relates to political activities by members of the armed forces visit: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/134410p.pdf

No comments: