Saturday, December 5, 2015

The demobilization station

Arrival at your demobilization station may bring mixed emotions. On the one hand you are very excited about going home to see loved ones yet on the other hand you may be a little curious as to the changes made in everyone's life as well as the changes that you have made during your deployment. I will never forget the words of another survive member, SGT Lakesha S. McNeil from Mississippi, prior to departing for my first deployment. She indicated that no mater who you are, you will certainly be affected by your combat deployment experience. If I ever run into SGT McNeil in the future, I will let her know that she was right.


Upon my arrival at Ft McCoy Wisconsin, my demobilization station, I was eager to get my demobilization process underway. Service members returning from a combat deployment must undergo thorough records checks and medical evaluations to ensure, not only their records are in order but their mind and body are well and prepared to be reintroduced to civilian life.

I found this process to be very well organized and easily navigable. The process of demobilization consist of several stations. In my case, I was considered and Individual Redeployer. That meant that I did not have to navigate the demobilization process with a large unit. Instead, I was able to just slide in where I could get in! Expecting to spend as much as a week or more at the demobilization station, I spent less then 3 days. I have heard of horror stories of service members spending weeks at their respective demobilization stations. Often times the reason is being considered a "medical holdover". Among the stations that each service member must process and clear consist of the following.

1. Audiology
2. Record Review
3. Chaplain
4. Legal
5. Dental
6. Retention
7. Medical
8. LODs
9. ACAP
10. Finance
11. DD214
12. ID Card
13. QA Survey
14. Final SRC Checkout

No matter how much preparation one does in preparing to deploy, I am amazed how important things get missed. For example as I processed through the ID Card station, I learned that I was never coded as someone serving on "Contingency Operations" duty. In a nut shell, that meant that if someone in the future had questioned if I had ever served in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, much less served in Kuwait, they could have denied certain benefits that are only available to those who serve under that coding. They certainly would have required me to jump through more hoops to prove I was eligible for certain benefits.

I have some very important advice for those National Guard and Reservist out there. If you have built up Leave days, it is imperative that you depart theater in enough time so that you do not lose those days. Unless you fall into a certain category such as having served in Iraq or Afghanistan with the hopes of taking advantage of the Post Mobilization Respite Absence or PMRA.

PMRA is a program designed to offer benefits to those service members who served in Iraq and Afghanistan without taking their required time off with the family. If for example a Reservist or National Guard service member serves two consecutive tours in those countries, they would be offered additional non-chargeable leave days. They would not lose those days even if they did not have available days to take them. Instead what would happen is that upon reaching their demobilization station, their orders would be extended giving them the opportunity to take their leave without the loss of their benefits and entitlements.

If you arrive at your demobilization station with more leave days then you have left on your orders, you could end up losing certain benefits that you would not have lost if you had enough days on your orders to cover those days. The best way to illustrate my point is to consider the following. Service Member "A" departs Kuwait with 10 days left on his orders but has 30 days of leave built up. Upon arriving at the demobilization station, he would be able to use up to 10 days of transitional leave and be required to sell back the remaining 20 days.

Why is that important you might ask? Well when Service Member "A" sells back his 20 leave days, he will lose his "day for day" credit for his retirement calculation thus cause a possible reduction in retirement benefits. Additionally he will lose his housing allowance which can be calculated at over $2,000 per month for some service members.

Now consider Service Member "B". She departs Qatar with 35 days left on her order but has 30 days of chargeable leave. Upon arrival at her demobilization station, she would be able to take her entire 30 days of leave plus earn her day for day credit for retirement purposes. In addition she would also continue receiving her housing allowance. Service Member "B" is a much happier and wealthier service member.

However, you can avoid the paroles of Service Member "A" by just ensuring you depart theater with enough time to utilize all of your earned chargeable leave. There are exceptions to this such as obtaining a letter from an O6 in your chain of command. However, you must plan ahead. Remember YOU are the only one that is responsible for your career!

It can not be stressed too much, it is very important that you keep accurate records of your file and ensure your file is correct and updated! Without over exaggerating, I have gone through no less then 4 Soldier Readiness Processes or SRPs prior to mobilization in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. However, during my demobilization phase after my two years of active duty, it was discovered that my records were not coded correctly and not giving me credit for serving in contingency operations. So in fact there was not a record of me serving in a war zone. How could this happen you might ask? Well I will respond by saying what the fine young woman told me as I past through her "ID Card" section; "If it is not THEIR records, no one cares." In other words, you are the best custodian of your career and records. No one else will put as much time and effort into ensuring your files are up to date as you!

No comments: