Friday, July 25, 2008

Relieve in Place and Transfer of Authority “RIP/TOA”

Now that you have arrived in theater and know where you will work, you probably are wondering what happens next? Regardless of where you end up, prior to jumping into your job, you will go through what is referred to as a RIP/TOA. RIP/TOA stands for Relieve in Place and Transfer of Authority. It is the sequence of events where one military unit replaces another in a theatre or area of operations. This is an opportunity for the outgoing unit to train their back-fill. Usually what happens during this time is the outgoing unit personnel will continue doing their job while the new unit personnel sit next to the outgoing personnel. This is done for about a week. Subsequently, the new unit service members will then take over and the outgoing personnel will ensure the job is being done correctly. This is also referred to as the “right seat/left sear” ride which is part of the RIP/TOA process. It is said that this phrase has its origins in drivers education were the student driver and instructor sit side by side.

Once the right seat/left seat training is completed there is generally a ceremony referred to as the Transfer of Authority or TOA. This basically means the new unit personnel have assumed all responsibilities and duties of the outgoing unit personnel.

As you begin your tour of duty I recommend that regardless of your duty location that you make the most of your time in your new controlled environment. How you spend your time will be detected by the location and mission you have.

For example service members stationed in Qatar may have greater freedoms then say someone in Kuwait. Service members in Kuwait will have greater freedoms then service members in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, one thing is certain; you will have some free time. How you use it can pay big dividends to you in the future.

While I was deployed to Kuwait I focused on myself and what I wanted to change about myself. A major goal I had while I was deployed was to become more spiritually in tune with life. So I started reading the bible and a book written by Rick Warren entitled "Purpose Driven Life". That book helped change my life.

As I indicated earlier in this book, when I was mobilized I weighed in excess of 316lbs and had a 54 inch waist. Getting in shape was a major goal I had. At the end of my deployment I had dropped approximately 100lbs and reduced my waist size to 38 inches. This took sacrifice and commitment. There are many misconceptions about military food, however, one thing is certain, while you are in a deployed environment on a major military installation lack of food will never be a problem. In addition you will be exposed to no less then 4 feedings per day and all the cake and ice-cream you desire. It takes a disciplined person who is committed to losing weight to avoid falling into the trap of gaining weight.

In my book; The Service Member’s Guide to Deployment; What every Soldier, Sailor, Airmen and Marine should know prior to being deployed. I discuss in great detail how I made some remarkable positive life changes in mind, body and soul.

No comments: