Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Snowflake in the Desert!

I have often been asked to explain what is the most difficult part about being stationed in a combat and war zone. Is it the possibility of being killed? No. Is it the threats from enemies near and far? No. Is it the horrid drivers? No. Then it must be the numerous times I have traveled throughout the Iraq War Theater of operations? No.

The most difficult and challenging thing for me to deal with is being away from my family and in particular my children. When I was deployed in July 2006 to go to Iraq, (though I ended up in Kuwait), my son was 9 months old and my daughter was 4 years old. Upon my return home later this year, my son will be nearly 3 years old and my daughter will be 6 years old.

I missed a great deal of their early life as a result of my deployment. During the time I was deployed my son learned to walk, got his first hair cut, (though I took him to get his 1st “professional” hair cut when I returned home during one of my two R&R vacations.) My daughter lost her first tooth. However, the greatest disappointment was the fact I missed my daughter’s entire year of Kindergarten.

Kindergarten is the time in a child’s life when they learn a great deal about life. There have even been books written about the importance of Kindergarten on a person's life. One such book is entitled "All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"

Without sounding biased and proud, I have the smartest children in the world. Marissa without a doubt is a very bright little girl. I have often said she is 5 going on 26. She was reading at the age of 4. Most of all she is the epitome of a “Daddy’s Girl”. If you do not believe me, stop what you are doing, go to Webster’s Dictionary and look up the definition of “Daddy’s Girl”. There amongst the words you will see a photo of Marissa looking back at you smiling.

Recently Marissa graduated from Kindergarten. Because of my deployment, I was unable to attend. However, I learned something very profound about my daughter. During the graduation ceremony or should I say “Celebration” the children received a DVD of their experiences in kindergarten as well as a year book.

Inside of the yearbook the teacher asked each of the students a question. The teacher asked the students to finish the following sentence; If I were a snowflake I would...

Of curse all the students answered the question with all sorts of amusing responses. When I was informed how Marissa answered, it brought a tear to my eye and a tremendous sense of pride to my soul. My 5 year old daughter stated in response the following;

"If I were a Snowflake I would travel to the Army so I could be with my Dad!"

Well needless to say she will always be my little Snowflake in the desert. Even if the temperatures can and often do reach temperatures of 140 degrees or more in the summertime :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir

Outstanding and very inspirational story. I have been blessed to have had our paths cross here in the "Sand Box". You have and continue to be an inspiration to many of us here. I hate seeing you leave, but your Son and that little "Snowflake in the Desert" truly deserve you each and every day. Keep the hugs and the "I Love You" going with the kids no matter how much they grow and become to cool for that. They will always be your baby boy and baby girl. Continue to be the LEADER and Inspiration that I and others here have come to know.

Respectfully
A Fellow Father/Soldier

Thomas Mengesha said...

Thank you for those kind words. God Bless you and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

From God's ears to your heart! We love you.

The Mengesha Family, including The Little Snowflake.